Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trestle-style Table

34''W 72'' L 30'' H

Superior Red Alder top and Sugar Maple base

H. Behlen Co. Tung oil/varnish finish

I made this piece a couple of years ago ( you can see that the pic was taken in my gallery ) but it recently caught the eye of a potential client , so I thought I would post it . The base is assembled with wedge joints , and the top attaches to the base with an all-wood wedge and clip joint that I created . After making this piece I made a bed frame (posted above) that utilizes another of my knockdown wedge joints . If I were to remake this table I think I would adapt the rail-to-post joinery I developed for the bed frame to this table design . The bed joinery , as you will notice , doesn't project from the post , which when applied to the table would alleviate the potential problem of the head chair knocking knees on the tenon . As always , go to my photostream for more pics .