Tuesday, October 19, 2010

2010 Bookcase

66'' H 31 1/2''W 14''D
The best Sugar Pine in the world !!
Tried & True linseed oil w/ additional beeswax
I think this storage case signals a significant evolutionary step in my personal theory of furniture design . In making this case I really tried to push aside the temptations of tradition and precedent , and reveal in all its bare honesty the pure austerity I am pushing toward in my work . This case is aggressively progressive in its plainness , which is exactly what I want ; unapologetic simplicity . The flash in a piece like this is the earnestness with which it is made . The case is joined with my usual hand-cut dovetails , the door frames are fitted with flush panels with just a saw-kerf reveal , the doors are opened by means of a finger-hole centered on the meeting door styles , and the doors are hung on non-traditional concealed European-style hinges . The stylistic choices add up to my definition of a good honest cabinet that exist only to exemplify the incomparable beauty of real wood , solid technique , and absolute utility . In the future I hope to be making many cases of various uses on this pattern .

No comments: