Friday, July 9, 2010

2010 harvest-style table


34''W 70''L 30''H
Red Alder with Black Walnut
Polyurethane over Danish oil

This piece is my June 2010 work . This table might be called a 'salvage' or 'restoration' project because the table top was a part of my client's existing kitchen table . The size of the top and the style of the base on the original table no longer suited the client's purposes , but the top had acquired a great deal of character and sentimental value , so they really didn't want to just chuck it on the burn pile . My job was to re-size the top , edgeband the top with Walnut , and design and make a base that would match the top . The original table was a heavy trestle-style design , hence the massive 1 3/4'' thick top . The problem with putting that top on a harvest-style base is that the thickness of the top robes you of potential depth on the aprons (the horizontal framing members) . My solution to this problem was to strengthen the slightly skinny aprons with Walnut brackets where they join the legs . These Walnut splines beefed-up my corner joinery , added visual interest , and matched the top edgebanding . When the piece was finally assembled I was pleased to note that the table is absolutely rigid , thanks to the nifty joinery . I dressed the top edges with my favorite 'furniture maker's' bit profile . I have found this profile exceptionally comfortable when you rest your forearms on the top- a la the correct way to sit at a dinning table . Apologies for the poor photos , this was one of those projects where the time between completion and delivery was just too quick to allow me to photograph it properly .



No comments:

Post a Comment