Sunday, March 28, 2010

furniturebyseth | the basics


the seth difference ~ My furniture making is simply a thoughtful and honest composition of spare form and unsparing craftsmanship . My objective is to create beautiful , long-wearing , and "ownable" fine woodworking through austere lines and innovative joinery . Though my first design thoughts are of quality , aesthetics , and creative satisfaction , my work is also mindful of turn-around , price , and shipping .

my materials ~ Furniture made to serve and please generations begins with very good wood . As a native of lumber-rich California , I am able to responsibly source a wide pallet of materials with varied workability , color , and texture . Though I work with many different wood species , I have found California Walnuts , Sugar Pine , Red Alder , and European Beech to be exceptionally responsive to my concept of furniture making .

finishes ~ In my shop finish is an ingredient in the furniture , not just a coating on the furniture . I practice finishing as a process of conditioning and fortifying wood , celebrating its lovely anti-plastic color and texture . My staple finishes are : California Walnut oil (blended with warmed California beeswax and applied by hand) Tried & True varnish/oil (applied by hand and topped with wax) and hi-tech water-based polyurethane (often applied over a coat of tone-warming oil ) .